Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Security Announcements
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:26 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

07/11/2009

- Since we have little spammer attack last couple days, from now on new members will be approved only by administrators. I have to delete approximately 35 new members (spammers) so I have to come up with these rules. Sorry for inconvenience.

07/13/2009

- So I updated some security question in “NEW Registration” section, also I modified some files so auto-boot will never use this security hole anymore, under Admin section I add list of known spam IP’s and Email’s and also I add new add-on under Admin section which I set to this settings.

User Auto Delete:

Auto Delete Non-Visiting Users480 days (This type of user has created an account but has not visited in a long time.)

Auto Delete Inactive Users2 Days (his type of user has created an account but never activated it via the activation e-mail.)

Auto Delete Non-Posting Users180 days (This type of user registered and activated their account, but has never posted.)

This add-on will search for all 3 cases every 120 minutes. I’m switching email registration back and let’s see what happened. I still have couple things for back-up plan, but I think this should solve most our problems.

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

Last edited by CyborgX_CZ on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

Digg: Security Announcements  Digg: Security Announcements  Digg: Security Announcements  Digg: Security Announcements

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 pm 

Yes, I had to delete quite a few threads that had been posted in the wrong forums and in violation of vending rules.

That and the links provided could have contained the unknown should the have been clicked on.

These steps were taken to provide a secure place for all of us and new members.

I get down with flat tires

Digg: Security Announcements  Digg: Security Announcements  Digg: Security Announcements  Digg: Security Announcements

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:02 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Once I add more security I will change that setting back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:41 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

I liked the idea on another forum i read, they force your first 5 posts to be moderator approved or flag the first 20 messages of a user to a moderator to be deleted quickly if they're crap.

Breaking laws and building boost since 08.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:40 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I dont want them on the forums at all. I delted about 30 yesterday I have 15 more right now in my inbox wanting approved all crap.

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:55 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

shrug, maybe goto root of problem, mods have to approve new users ? 24-48 hr delay on account creation may prevent it, sort of like access to certain forums. That or more mods to delete posts, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:15 pm 
Newb
Newb

Roman, there was a mod for phpbb 2.x that I used called ACP anti-spam. It did a good job stopping the bots and spammers. (decent captcha confused the spammer bots) I think it was a pretty simple install as well.
I just updated our board to 3.05, I'm still trying to fix issues with the upgrade though. :(

CCSC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:12 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

Is there any way to spam the spammers? Maybe make their computers/servers a bit toasty? Captcha should work.

Resident Medic, Collecting Subarus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:55 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

th3w0rm wrote:
Roman, there was a mod for phpbb 2.x that I used called ACP anti-spam. It did a good job stopping the bots and spammers. (decent captcha confused the spammer bots) I think it was a pretty simple install as well.
I just updated our board to 3.05, I'm still trying to fix issues with the upgrade though. :(

Yeah I will look in to it tomorrow if I have a time, I have couple idea. Good think about those spammers is they cannot post so only what they can do now is complete registration.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:56 am 
Webmaster
Webmaster

New update....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:22 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Quote:
Auto Delete Non-Visiting Users – 120 days (This type of user has created an account but has not visited in a long time.)
Auto Delete Non-Posting Users – 120 days (This type of user registered and activated their account, but has never posted.)

If I'm not thinking of something point it out, but it seems not posting would cover/over rule not visiting also. (no posts = no visits, no visits 120 days no post rule kills them.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:24 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

It's easily modified and each setting can be turn ON/OFF from a menu anyway I will change that to 150 days for registered/activated users.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:25 pm 

Here is another way to look at it. We have 8 pages of members. Almost half of these members have only 1 post or none at all. We would then have nearly another full page of less than 5 posts. So, in reality we only have 2+ pages of active members. Almost all of our forums would look like this if you were to research them. That is just the nature of the forums.

I'm all for leaving those inactive members in place since they do not cause any problems on here and some of them have ran into at some point. Some are now just former Subaru owners and we may never see their return. Unfortunately, the spammers have created the need to tighten up the security. It really works us hard to sort them out when we have other tasks at hand as well.

I get down with flat tires

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:01 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Well as you guys notice that new add-on work well from 501 members we jump down to 364

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:17 pm 
Newb
Newb

I'm not a fan of this method. I think you're going to alienate the people that aren't regulars that may have something in common time to time. You have lurkers that sign up and may post a couple times and may never post again, or guys from our neck of the woods that have signed up over here because someone over here signed up at CCSC and they came to check it out. Now if they have to come back for some cross-promotional meet or to try to sell or buy something, they have to re-register and may have to establish who they are all over again. Maybe its just me, but I think it sends the wrong message.

You should just upgrade phpbb to 3.05 and update the garage to 2.0B4. Don't be scared, it only took me a week of hacking my way thru the code. :shock: yeargh

CCSC