Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

RomRaider DataLogging Software
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:44 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

With all the fun that we had with the ECUExplorer Datalogging Software which is very good, but sucks because you cant actually save your data logs for review only live view.

Well RomRaider was brought to my attention it was formally known as Enginuity..is Java Based and works with Vitsa. Yeah for me.

http://www.romraider.com/

I'm going to log the car tomorrow to get a full evaluation.

Here is some info about the logger

SUBARU LOGGING WITH ROMRAIDER

Q What exactly is data logging and why is it important?

Logging allows you to monitor, real-time, a number of different data parameters used by the ECU in the management of the engine. This is important to track the impact that your tuning changes have on your motor. Logging is crucial to a safe and effective tune.

Q How does logging with RomRaider work?

RomRaider uses the Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) protocol for logging which is faster and has more capability than standard OBD-II logging. To use, simply connect the OpenPort cable to your OBD-II port and the laptop. Select “Launch Logger” from the Logger menu. Choose the correct COM port for your cable in the main logger screen and RomRaider will auto connect to the ECU. Then you can select the parameters you wish to monitor as well the displayed format - data, graph or dashboard.

Q Can you give me a step-by-step on how to log with RomRaider?

Turn on your laptop.
Connect the USB end of your tactrix cable to the laptop and the other end of the cable to the OBD-II port on your car (underneath the steering wheel).
Start RomRaider. Select Logger → Launch Logger from the top menu.
In the logger’s Settings menu, make sure “Control File Logging with Defogger Switch” is selected.
Turn the ignition key to on or start the vehicle.
Choose the correct COM port for your tactrix cable from the drop down box in the upper left hand corner of the logger.
Select the parameters you wish to log in the left pane (the greater the number of parameters selected, the greater the sampling interval will be).
When you wish to log to a file, turn on the defogger. When you wish to end writing to that file, turn off the defogger. Each on/off sequence of the defogger will generate a separate file.
Q I can’t get the RomRaider logger to connect to my ECU. What’s wrong?

Make sure the drivers for the OpenPort (tactrix) cable are installed. Installing EcuFlash will install the drivers for the OpenPort cable:
Try each of the COM ports in the logger’s drop-down box. In Windows, you can determine the correct COM port by plugging in the OpenPort cable and looking under ports in the device manager.
Try a different USB port on your computer.
The ignition has to be ON or the engine running in order for the logger to connect to the ECU.
Do NOT use USB hubs, extension cables or converters with the OpenPort cable (plug it directly into one of your computer’s USB port).
Q Should I update the logger definitions?

Yes. Always check for the latest logger definitions HERE which are often newer than what is supplied with the RomRaider download.

While RomRaider’s logger allows you log any Subaru that is SSM capable, the newer definitions also allow for logging “extended” parameters that not even a Subaru technician has access to. Because the extended parameters are ROM specific, your ROM must be supported by the logger definitions in order to log these parameters. The ROMs supported are typically the same as those supported by the current ECU definitions. It is important to the use the latest logger definitions, as additional extended parameters and ROM support are often added. A list of the supported extended parameters can be found on the logger definitions download page.

Q Can I log to a file?

Yes, select “Control File Logging with Defogger Switch” from the logger’s settings menu. To start logging to file, press the car’s defogger switch. To end logging to a file, press the defogger switch again. A new file will be created each time, allowing you to create separate files during each logging session. To change or view the location of the saved files, select “Log File Output Location” from the logger’s settings menu.

Q Do I have to connect the green test mode connectors or flash block to log?

No. You should never be in test mode for logging. Test mode is for reading or flashing the ECU only.

Q Does RomRaider support aftermarket wideband O2 sensor logging?

Test releases v774 and later of RomRaider, found HERE support the Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 sensor. To start the test release, open the run.bat file. Note: You may also need to install the latest ECU and logger definitions to the test release folder as it is a separate stand-alone version of RomRaider that has nothing to do with your main RomRaider install.

Q Which parameters should I log? Should I log everything?

Logging takes a snapshot of each parameter’s current value. The more parameters that are selected, the longer the interval between the sampling of each parameter. Therefore, you should limit logging to the absolute minimum number of specific items that will supply you with the information you require. Try the following if you are new to logging for a general picture of your tune:

Engine Speed
Ignition Total Timing
Feedback Knock Correction* (extended parameter)
Fine Learning Knock Correction* (extended parameter)
Manifold Relative Pressure (i.e. boost)
Boost Error* (extended parameter)
Primary Wastegate Duty
Throttle Opening Angle %
CL/OL fueling* (extended parameter)
A/F Correction #1
A/F Learning #1
Mass Airflow
Engine Load (Direct)* (extended parameter)
IAM (Ignition Advance Multiplier)* (extended parameter)
Note: if your ROM is not supported for the extended parameters above, then log ‘Knock Correction Advance’ and ‘Engine Load (Calculated)’ instead. If you’re logging WOT runs only, then you do not necessarily need to log ‘A/F Correction #1″ as it is disabled in open loop (fueling).

Q So, I should just log the parameters listed above and that’s it?

No, that is just a general list to get you started. What you need to log depends on what you are trying to accomplish by logging. There are no “magical” set of parameters that, when selected, will give you (or an expert viewing your logs) a complete picture of all problems, issues and areas in need of attention for your tune. You need to focus on a particular area or issue and you need to do multiple logs under a variety of conditions depending on what you are trying to determine. The more parameters you log, the less resolution you will have and the less useful the data will be.

Q I’m trying to log boost but there are more than a few parameters for manifold pressure. Which do I choose?

Note: The ECU has no effective limit as far as storing manifold pressure. However, the ECU performs a narrowing conversion for the standard SSM parameters which results in these parameters having a limit in which higher values cannot be represented (the value will appear to be frozen at the limit during logging when manifold pressure exceeds the limit).

‘Manifold Absolute Pressure’ - this standard SSM parameter will read no higher than about 37 psia.
‘Manifold Relative Pressure’ - this standard SSM parameter is limited to about 18.4 psig regardless of atmospheric pressure.
‘Manifold Relative Pressure (Corrected)’ - This is a calculated parameter (still based on standard parameters) that is limited to about 22.3 psig at sea level. The actual limit will depend on the local atmospheric pressure (37psia - atmospheric pressure). For example, if atmospheric pressure is 13 psi, then this parameter would be limited to 24 psig (37psia - 13 psi = 24 psig).
‘Manifold Absolute Pressure (Direct)*’ - This extended parameter reads the manifold pressure value directly as used by the ECU. As such, it has no effective limit.
‘Manifold Relative Pressure (Direct)*’ - This extended parameter also has no effective limit. It is not the actual relative pressure, however. This parameter assumes sea level atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi). Although this will not match actual relative pressure if local atmospheric pressure is different from 14.7 psi, it will match the standard units ECU definitions in relation to relative manifold pressure (ex. Target Boost).
Q What exactly is the difference in the logger between standard parameters and extended parameters?

Subaru dealers use a diagnostic tool known as the Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) which takes advantage of a standardized protocol built-in these ECUs. This allows them to log a number of parameters (some which are not available via OBD-II) and at a faster rate. RomRaider’s logger also takes advantage of the SSM protocol and allows you to log the same ‘standard’ SSM parameters specific to each Subaru ECU.

Extended parameters, however, are not available to the dealer. These are added separately to RomRaider’s logger to allow users access to additional ECU parameters that may be useful when tuning (ex. feedback knock correction, IAM, engine load, boost error, etc). Since these must be defined manually for each ECU by analyzing a copy of the ROM, only those ROM revisions supported by the ECU definitions are also supported with extended parameters in the logger. Extended parameters are marked with an asterisk (*) at the end of the parameter’s name to differentiate them from standard SSM parameters.

Q How can I find out more about what these logging parameters mean?

A description for each extended logging parameter can be found HERE (near the end).

Q How can I view the saved log files?

Open them in any spreadsheet application that supports .csv files. Also check out Airboy’s spreadsheet to graph log files HERE.

Q Other loggers require me to choose or define the address for the engine load and the advance multiplier. How do I do this with RomRaider?

RomRaider will automatically set up the load (Engine Load (Direct)) and advance multiplier (IAM) parameters as long as your ROM is one of the 180+ supported by the software. Simply select the parameter as you would any other item. Make sure you are using the latest logger definitions for the latest support.

Q The logged advance multiplier (IAM) value is between 0 and 1 on some cars and between 0 and 16 on others. Why?

16-Bit and 32-bit ECUs store this value differently although the function of this parameter is the same. Multiply the 32-bit ECU’s value by 16 to compare to the 16-Bit ECU. Divide the 16-Bit ECU’s value by 16 to compare to the 32-bit ECU.

Q What is the difference between Engine Load (Calculated) and Engine Load (Direct)?

Engine load is not normally a parameter that can be logged through SSM. However, it can be calculated from the supported mass airflow and engine speed parameters which is how “Engine Load (Calculated)” is determined. The “Engine Load (Direct)*” is an extended parameter and reads engine load directly as calculated by the ECU and should be used if it is available for your ROM.

Q How do the profiles work?

Profiles allow you to save your list of currently selected parameters to avoid having to select the items individually every time. You can save as many profiles as you need and load them at any time. To load or saves profiles, select the appropriate item in the logger’s File menu.

Q What does the log overlay do?

This actively highlights the current cell(s) in a particular table that the ECU is accessing while the engine is running. This is very useful for dyno tuning or for narrowing down a drivability problem in a road tune. To use, first open your ROM in RomRaider and open the table you wish tune. Check the “overlay log” box in the table’s window. Open the logger and select the parameters that exactly match the row and column units for the table in question. The current cells that are essentially being accessed will now be highlighted real-time. Additionally, some tables allow for the current logged value to be displayed along with the table’s value.

Q Can RomRaider read CEL codes?

No, RomRaider cannot currently read CEL codes, although you can disable CELs (via a flash) when tuning with RomRaider.

Q What is ecuExplorer and do I need it?

EcuExplorer was the first open source logger for Subarus. It has not developed for a few years now and for most users, RomRaider’s logger would be a better choice. However, there are a few features in ecuExplorer that are not available in RomRaider’s:

CEL code reader → ecuExplorer has the ability to read CEL codes from some Subarus. However, this feature was never fully developed and it is not an OBD-II scanner. As such, it may display codes that are not set, codes that don’t apply to the vehicle, or the incorrect code(s).
Learned idle speed and ignition timing adjustments → allows user to adjust target idle speed and overall ignition timing for applicable Subarus. These changes are volatile, meaning they will be lost when the battery is disconnected.
ECU reset → allows user to reset the ECU (this capability is also available in RomRaider test release v774 and up).
ecuQuery → allows user to read portions of the ECU’s RAM to a file (useful for advanced users/developers only).
EcuFlash → has an older command-line version of EcuFlash which allows you to read/flash the 16-bit ECU only. This might be useful for those running older versions of Windows such as Win2k or Win98/ME that are not compatible with newer versions of EcuFlash.

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software  Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software  Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software  Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 pm 
Dstock Hero
Dstock Hero

you can save ecuexplorer data logs, it default saves to your desktop or somewhere i cant remembere exactly.

Walbro 255L Fuel Pump
APS TMIC
Invidia Up and 3" Down Pipe
Greddy SP2 3" catback
Cobb ap
Custom Protune by Draco Performance

Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software  Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software  Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software  Digg: RomRaider DataLogging Software

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:00 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

vinnyzwrx wrote:
you can save ecuexplorer data logs, it default saves to your desktop or somewhere i cant remembere exactly.

You can with xp but bot with vista. and this has a Dashboard like the Cobb Protuner, you select what you want to watch, it still logs everything but has say 8-10 things you want o be able to see when you drive. I'll show you a screen shot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:25 am 
Dstock Hero
Dstock Hero

i cant see them, but thats good info to know, i never tried ecuexplorer on vista.

Walbro 255L Fuel Pump
APS TMIC
Greddy SP2 3" catback
Cobb ap

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:27 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can email them to you if you want, its really badass.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:15 am 
Dstock Hero
Dstock Hero

yea, that would be sweet.

david.salvagnini@gmail.com

Walbro 255L Fuel Pump
APS TMIC
Greddy SP2 3" catback
Cobb ap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:07 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

can u use your accessport cable for the romraider logon?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:53 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Your ap is running updated firmware which locks the map automatically so rom raider wont log.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:19 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

where can i get a cable at then, and did u hear anything bout the dyno on the car? anything from perrin yet

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:21 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Can I run my AP1 cable from my laptop to the ODB2 port to log? I tried to hook it up just now and it said to check the cable and turn ignition on. Cable was hooked up and the ignition was on. Tried several times with car running and then just ignition on. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 am 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Cable from AP1 will work with RR data-loging I did that for Frank (white bugeye)

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:58 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Any secret to it Roman? I could not get it to work. I am chasing a boost leak as well...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:16 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Nope just cobb drivers included on you CD and I think he used serial to usb adapter then you need to install RR with all drivers and I was just play with that for a bit and it start working. If you are in town bring your laptop and I will do it for ya. :wink:

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:11 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

I have the AP software loaded but I didnt need the serial to usb. I can go straight to the Com port.