Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Choose your turbo Wisely!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:43 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Look. I know everyone wants to make their car make the OMG!1!!!11one! Power on the dyno and be faster than srt4's but if you are looking to upgrade your current turbo charger please choose wisely.

I was cruising through nasioc's Proven power Forum where I like to dream about making 400whp on a mustang dyno with just a cobb pully and 1 step colder plugs. and stumbled upon this post.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22899233&posted=1#post22899233

He is running a stock 2 liter motor with a few supporting mods. and I guess a stock 5speed.
with a slowboy gt-12 turbo! Ok so you want to make 300 whp on an otherwise stock motor? That turbo he is running doesnt make an power untill 5500rpms or later His peak numbers are
304whp/274tq at 20psi! by the time he hits peak torque it falls right on its face!

So lets compare his 304whp/274 tq @ 20psi to my 300whp/285tq @18psi

Turbo Lag is a myth if you choose your turbo Wisely. Make your own decision.

Keep in mind we have pretty much the same mods except I dont have headers.

HIS

My 16 PSi Chart

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!  Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!  Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!  Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:13 am 
Twinke
Twinke

wow..interesting..some people just want the power no matter what!!!!

Dustin

Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!  Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!  Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!  Digg: Choose your turbo Wisely!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:29 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

yeah 4 whp more, and 10+ lbtq less with a 1000 rpm powerband

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:38 am 
Twinke
Twinke

yep you guessed it.....BIG TIME FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on his part

Dustin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:20 am 
Webmaster
Webmaster

That’s why I love my turbo and my setup, now I just need to play with my tune and make even smoother then it is.

BTW: Yesterday I have little race with some CBR 600 from one stop light to another. First I want to move to another line but they was already there so I start speed up and they did same thing so I floored and they did same thing 2nd red line he jump a little bit but not front of me 3rd red line I jumped but he didn’t pass me until we got to another stop light. He stops right beside me and shake his head. :lol:

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:39 am 

Bike kills are fun. It's even funnier to see the look on their face when it happens.

What was he thinking??? For the cost of the build he could have a 2.5 short block and use the smaller turbo and have a better car all around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:42 am 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Well I didn’t believe in a first place but I look beside me and he was serious laying all the way down and kicking gears :-)

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:47 am 

He must be very inexperienced on the bike. He should have won, but over a short distance you should have faired well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:08 pm 

The thing is people want numbers. They dont look at where on the RPM range it is. If people would for once actually use the equation that is out there (it escapes me what site its on but I have it on my external HD) they would see that just because its the size of their head doesnt mean it is whats best for the motor/ making usable power. Thus the 22 I put on my old STi. Everyone said I was retarted and its not even an upgrade, thqat I would only see 10 WHP over all. Well that was across the power band and it spooled up by roughly 3000 RPM's by the time I was done with her! Give or take a few RPM's!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

DOM 3 = 4200 spool

PRODRIVE.....FTW!!!!!

EPIC Motor Sports!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:21 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

have you checked out the AMS gt3076R rotated v-band kit???

heres a pic of their dyno

E85 fuel

AMS GT30r Turbo Kit w/ .63 A/R and Catted(!) Downpipe
Stock Ej257 bottom end and heads
Perrin FMIC
GT Spec un-equal length header
Aeromotive Fuel Rails
Precision Turbo 1200cc top feed Injectors
Fuel Lab Adjustable FPR
Custom AMS Fuel Lines and Top Feed conversion kit
Custom AMS -6an fuel tank to regulator fuel lines
Dual Walbro in tank fuel pumps
Full Blown dual pump in tank housing
AMS TGV Delete
Exedy twin disk clutch

Boost is set at 25.5psi

most of the fuel mods were there for it to run E85.... i asked them about the tune, since on here it isnt listing a tune at all... still waiting on an answer from AMS

pretty impressive numbers and powerband. id expect a couple more TQ with 93
This is the kit im gonna run on the sti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:31 am 

The 30R can be a good setup, but I have already proven that I can do as much as a rotated 30R or 35R on pump & alky. I had a better street and time attack powerband as well. This was with a stock location turbo. I see alot of wasted money on parts that just look pretty in that setup as well, ie fuel system. Stock has been shown to be able to support up to 600whp with just the injectors and a Walbro 255lph.

I get down with flat tires

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

yeah alky is nice, i run it now on my gli but im not gonna run alky on the sti just because i hate going to bobby taylor. and when i have to wait getting heet from autozone...

the only thing id do is fuel pump, 1000cc injectors, the turbo kit, FMIC and exhaust, eventually some headers and exhaust mani. how good are the stock internals on the ej25?? will they hold up to high 400s low 500s WTQ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:05 pm 

Topspeed has the highest at over 600whp on stock block and heads and they were trying to blow the car with a SOLID tune and it never did let go.
All you need is denatured alcohol that you can buy off the shelf at Lowes or Home Depot. Wal-Mart even sells the same stuff as Lowes.

I get down with flat tires

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:48 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

I hate my setup.....I want to go 35R :x