Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Tune of a stock car?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:20 pm 
Newb
Newb

So from reading Unabombers FAQs on NASIOC, it sounds as though there's good reason to consider a tune on even a stock 05+ non-STi. I was unable however to find any info saying what those benefits would be.
Obviously if you're going to continue modding a car, it'd be a waste to get tune while stock, however I don't really plan on modding mine more than it already is.
All that's done to it now is a silencer delete and an STi axelback. I don't plan on doing much more beyond suspension.
So, what would a tune get me for this very stockish setup?

Digg: Tune of a stock car?  Digg: Tune of a stock car?  Digg: Tune of a stock car?  Digg: Tune of a stock car?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:44 pm 

It makes the car much more reactive. The cars stock tune is pretty neudered. The AP Stage 1 Flash is a great example of what it can do. Ive driven a Stage 1 WRX and STi. There is a definate difference from the stock tune.

Digg: Tune of a stock car?  Digg: Tune of a stock car?  Digg: Tune of a stock car?  Digg: Tune of a stock car?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:50 pm 
Newb
Newb

I forgot to mention, mine's a 2005 WRX Wagon.

Also since I don't plan on modding mine further, I'd be looking for a 'set-it and forget it' type of tune, opensource I would assume.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:03 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

Hey Ricter, sounds like you've already got the right idea, Gino's right though. Even a generic Cobb map can make a large difference in throttle response, lag, and overall feel of the car.

Actually getting an open source tune would be even better. Just keep in mind, that you'll be stuck with that tune, so if you're looking for good gas mileage in a couple months, remember you'll have to bring it to a tuner to put the stock map back on (unless you are up to doing it yourself).

Other than that, keep researching, because that never hurt anyone ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:39 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I could make you a stage 1 map if you want. It should pep it up alittle. put a dp on your car with the sti catback and go stage 2 and it will be a fun zippy car. I am the king of budget build haha

Let me know if your car is an auto or a manual and shoot me a pm

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:42 pm 

^^^^^^ He does budget stuff cheaper than me... and Im REAL cheap!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:11 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Dont listen to them, they will make you buy a bigger turbo lol :wink: Any news on the vf39?

A wise man once said- buy as much house as you can afford, and as little car as you can stand.

Mods car is Stock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:27 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

BlueRex019 wrote:
Dont listen to them, they will make you buy a bigger turbo lol :wink: Any news on the vf39?

yeah call me so i have your number again and I'll give it to sysco he has the top mount and the vf39, buy them both I'll tune the car and be teh faster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:35 pm 

Their both in my attic!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 am 
Newb
Newb

As mentioned, it smooths out the power a lot... less lag, opens the bottom end a bit to feel more responsive. Can also bump up the rev limiter a bit, and remove the electronic speed limiter.

I have a Cobb AP and ran the Stage1 93 octane map with just a Cobb CBE for about 1 year, and it was a great improvement over stock.
Recently, I addded an Injen DP and reflashed to a Cobb Stage2 93 Oct map - much better - even with the A/C on.

I'm sure there is a margin of safety built into their "canned" maps and there is a little HP left on the table here or there, but I'm satisfied with my gains.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:29 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

There is definitely a lot of power and response left on the table with the OTS map. I picked up 20 whp and 40 lb-ft, and the power band was moved to the left a bit with a Protune.

With an OTS APv2 and Cobb catted TBE, the car felt much, much stronger than stock. I was very happy with it, and didn't think it would get much better. But after the Protune, the car was a world better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 pm 
Newb
Newb

So I'm confused what is the difference between a pro tune and like a Cobb tune and the what is what will be done at epic motorsports what kinda tune is that ...
I know I sound dumb but ok so a Sti keeps up with a mustang gt now will a stage 2 smoke one?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:26 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

A protune means tuned by a certified professional tuner.
I am a Certified professional tuner. there for your car will be ProTuned