Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Fail.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Quote:
We were a few days away from announcing the release date for the AccessTUNER Race (formerly StreetTUNER) software so I don't have a more formal release completed yet but I can fill you all in on the details in a rough draft. This represents decisions made many, many moons ago and we hope it reflects the current needs of the fellow enthusiast.

AccessTUNER Race for new AccessPORTs
Release date: August 25th, 2008
Price: $0, FREE web download.

The process will work as such:
1) A link from our website will go active on August 25th to download the AccessTUNER Race software.
2) You visit the link and fill out a basic survey/questionnaire.
3) We email you a download link.
4) You download, install, and start tuning!

The software is vehicle specific, and is not limited in any table/parameter access. It offers the exact SAME depth of access to ECU parameters as the Pro version. So if you have a new AccessPORT, you can Real Time tune, datalog, etc just like the Pro version.

The software will NOT allow you to open up other Pro maps (.ptm) aside from the COBB maps. We're opening up ALL of our maps for you to use as starting points for your tune. That literally means you just open the maps already on your AccessPORT, download the ones on our website, etc and start tuning. IF you have a Pro tuned map that you want to adjust, all you need to do is contact your original tuner and ask that they send the map for you in the Race format (their software can already do this, it's as easy as File->Open, pick your map, and File->Save->Race... a whopping 5-10 seconds of work). You can then view the exact details of your map, edit it, etc. And just like the original software, you can share maps with one another, and so on.

We can start another more official thread to discuss this if you'd all like. I just figured this would be a good place to make everyone aware of our plans.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

Now that everyone has seent his and ever Cobb Protuner on the planet has just put a going out of business sale on their shop door let it be known I will not be converting my maps over to Street Tuner maps so you can steal my hard earned work and handing it out to your friends( Not saying anyone here would but you wave money in someones face they take it.) Or for that matter to take a map That I tuned for you to decided you want more boost to turn it up. Blow your shit sky high! then come complaining stating my map is why your shit failed.

By giving this software out they just gave away the biggest stronghold they had on opensource... Real time tuning. Yeah thats right no hard reflash for ever correction.

I'm also not sure of why Dyno tuning costs $200 per hour????
Yes you are correct because shops like H&H Performance, and Draco Performance have top of the line Mustang Dynos that cost $125k PLUS! So we can better serve you! and we also had to pay a few grad ( If I remember correctly $7800 to get the Tuning software.. that they will be giving out for free.
Guess what that means?
Yes. That means they ever Joe on the street has the software to tune their own evo or 350z..But we still have to pay $1k PLUS! So we can get the hasp key and tune cars.

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

Digg: Fail.  Digg: Fail.  Digg: Fail.  Digg: Fail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:02 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

I realize this might be something that a shop would have to get used to, but naturally, as a consumer, I think that's pretty sweet.

They did state "We WERE a few days away.." and never explained the delay, so perhaps it's been put on hold or something..

I think that cobb ap will still have a strong demand (perhaps even stronger), since in the consumers eyes, nothing is being hidden away from access. Every joe can fiddle with their maps, to their own consequence. So perhaps more people will be interested in it. I know from my own view, I'd be more interested in buying one, if I didn't already. Also, compared to openecu, the ap has portability, the hardware itself is much more convenient compared to a laptop.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will f*ck their stuff up, but anyone with half a brain knows not to go messing with things they don't understand. Personally, I'd just be very interested in seeing what my current map is doing, seeing the tables, going through whatever "help" the program has, in hoping to get an inkling of knowledge about how cars ECU's control different parameters.

The only hitch cobb could have in this move (that my floor-level eyes can see) is if shops refused to tune cobb. But when it comes right down to it, I think cobb has a strong foothold with subarus, and other makes, so consumers will find shops that DO support the ap.

Beats me... Just my 2 cents. (I expect this will probably be a topic of hot debate, since most of us don't understand how a shop operates, so we only see the positives (free stuff!)) Perhaps Draco can get in on this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Damn. Now I'm gonna have to think up someone new to write in on the presidential ballot...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:35 am 

The issue I see is this:

1 Joe nobody gets tuned at a shop, blows his shit into next week then trys to blame the shop. The idiot uses the street tuner and turns up boost and BOOM! Now, the shop is protected, but not their name........

2. Protuners now tuning outside of the shop for less money to get some on the back end. I say this now,m I will only tune on H&H's or Dracos Dyno. Dont ask, I will proceed to publically humiliate you.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:00 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have no quams street tuning. Ive street tuned Cobb and Opensource. No issues.

But take what we were talkign about the other day. I wanted to tune the Evo...and they Mazda Speed 3 we have at the shop with the Cobb AP that it there. Well I would have to pay $1300 or something for each hasp key to tune those cars. That is alot of money...But they will give it to you for free?

There was a stink about this on the Cobb Forums. I have no issues with you having the Tuning software needed to do your car! Free? Eh I think you should Pay for it. Because I Still have to pay for it. so yeah I guess thats all i really have

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:45 am 
This is something that I have been worrying about for a long time. Everyone that knows how to use a laptop thinks that it is all you need to know to tune your car, don't realize the true knowledge that one has to have in order to do things correctly, core information about cars, and that is what sets good tuners apart from bad ones.

People should remember this, when you need stitches for a cut, you could just use a sewing needle and some thread to do it, but you don't, you go the ER to have it done by a professional....why, because they may see something you don't, know how to prevent infection and the long term affects of what could happen. That is what real shops with real knowledge apply to what they do, includuing tuning. They know things about your car that you yourself would never think of, that's why you pay 180-200 an hour for a tune, and alot of money for installs. People like Barry, Robbie, Sandro and Gino put more thought in to everything they do then the average person could ever conceive to insure that your performance investment does what it needs to do, now and in the future. I consider what we do that of a doctor for people, but on cars. They carry the same intracacies as a human body, and just because I can put on neosporin and a band aid, I am not a doctor.

Just my 2 cents, I have been watching out for the street tuner for a long time and dredding what it is going to do to the performance industry and the shops that have invested alot of money in the equipment and training to do it right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:22 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

:shock: :shock: :shock: NO WAY!!! This will kill Open Source for sure

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:56 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but robbie, what's to stop you from using the free software to tune that mazda 3 (for instance). You only need the hasp key if you want to lock the map/ecu am I correct?

As far as liability, I'm sure you already have a "we aren't responsible for damage" waiver. You could just add that "people that request the racetune map, are aware of the damage they can do to their engine, and we are NOT responsible in any way for changes made by the owner". You could keep your tune on file at the shop, so if anyone calls bullshit, you can show them what you gave them.

I don't know. I see the problems, but only people like our favorite sti owner (those who know who I'm talking about) most everyone else knows that you guys are great people, and aren't trying to set people up for failure.

Killing opensource, well, I don't know what the benefits of using open source are in the first place, but if there's _anything_ OS can do that AP can't, I imagine there will still be a market for it. That's what competition is all about though, until you end up with a microsoft that is..... :D

Demand for dynos will still remain the same I'd imagine, but you might find more people wanting to tune their own cars, now that they can...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:29 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nothing would stop me because I would have the person who has the car say the mazda speed bring their own laptop and I could tune it for them. But I would still be charging the same price.

Open source IMO has fewer table you can modify than cobb...and OS doesnt have live tuning which cobb does. Therefore You would have essentially everything i have free..

Just an example but you remember the comment made about I want to pull my rear drive shaft and get my car dynotuned on a fwd dyno? That shit will increase exponentially!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:53 am 

The hell with it. Look at it like this. Joe nobody thinks he can tune, bvlows his shit to next week. Thats a rebuild and a Professional tune. More money for the shops in the long run. I say let them have their cake and eat it too. Guys like us will be sipping our wine and biding our time!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

its gonna be pretty much like every sr20swaped 240sx owner, that buys a apexi power fc and goes in and adjust stuff they dont need to.

i used to get calls all the time from people asking what went where and what stock was and all kinds of questions from people that just went in changing stuff.

i think it is a bad idea to give people that dont know what they are doing the power to change things. and for you guys that do the tuning i can see it being a big headache. you can probably make money off people charging them when they call you to ask dumb questions cause they changed something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:41 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

i wouldnt mind getting the software just to see the different gauages or whatever lol be all fast and furious hahaha but still let robbie do all the tuning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:21 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Blacksti2006 wrote:
i wouldnt mind getting the software just to see the different gauages or whatever lol be all fast and furious hahaha but still let robbie do all the tuning.

When i get a free minute I will show you how to pull them up with rom raider. or when you get the new street tuner the same.

The rom raider logger you can see but not bump something on accident and change the tune.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:43 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

The day approaches! The site is providing everything but the program!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?id=3062

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:11 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

yeah i gotta get that damn trix or whatever cable... got one laying around? i can pull up the gauges on rom raider just dont have the cable lol..