Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 am 
Newb
Newb

Hi,

Im looking to get a dual stage boost controller for my vf34'd wrx. I am currently tuned at 10 psi with 267/227 I was hoping to get around 320 as far as hp. If i set one boost setting to the factory 10 psi and the other to say 18 pounds and get it tuned at that, would i be running lean or rich when cruising at 10 pounds? Would this be even worth doing? or should i just skip dual stage and get a single stage? which is safer and better for gas mileage, lean or rich?

Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?  Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?  Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?  Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 am 

I personally don't like to use them since you can modulate boost all within your right foot.

As far as running lower boost with your tune, you are already doing exactly what you're asking about when you drive the car now. The difference here would be the fact that lowering the boost without a tune through a mbc would cause you to run extremely rich on top since the ecu is seeing the load of the engine and increasing fuel to compensate for the load and there is not enough there because of the mbc limiting the system.

Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?  Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?  Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?  Digg: Tuned for high boost, safe to run low boost?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:24 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

What engine management are you using? If your using an Access port then you can change change maps on the go and you can have different boost levels for each map.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:38 am 

Steve is right, the AP can be used with up to 10 maps. We need to also know the Em that you intend to use with this setup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 am 
Webmaster
Webmaster

I think that is V1 V2 can store more then that I f I remember around 100

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That wa sme on steves account.. haha but yes alas the answer is the same.

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 pm 
Newb
Newb

i have no engine management. i bought an accessport off ebay but the guy never sent it...
A couple people have told me that if i get tuned for 18 and use that as a daily driver i will get decent gas mileage. of course this would depend on as VIR EURORALLY put it the pressure of my right foot but overall i see no reason to get EM if this is the case. if what i have been told is wrong then i suppsoe i could buy a V1 AP but im trying to save money so i dont really want to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:06 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

It depends on your moods, if you put cat back on your car then you don’t need it, if you switch injectors then YES you need a good EM

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

an acess port regardless will make the car run better. Even the stage 1 which is generally a stock car will have better drivability. stage 2, which runs near 18psi is great you need a downpipe and catback.

But you DO Not want to run 18psi without a tune. Its not safe the car Will run lean, which will cause detonation and your motor will take a dive. Just putting an intake on a subaru will effect the drivability without a tune.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:30 pm 

My question is this:

How are you "tuned" but have no engine management? Thats makes no sense.

BTW listen to me, Overactor and VIR. We know our crap and wont steer you wrong. You need EM as soon as possiable and bigger injectors. I bet you are already lean with no EM an WOT. Tourning upo boost with a manual boost contorller will do nothing but mae Overactor and possiabally myself have to rebuild you motor after it leans out and implodes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm 
Newb
Newb

rk888v2, i just got my car towed to you guys for my hybrid build today so you can see for youself. I was tuned with the factory ecu to 10 pounds for my vf34 setup. I have the STI pinks (565cc) and a Walbro 255 lph pump. i got it tuned at national speed here in wilmington and since i have no boost controller on the car, they couldnt up the boost to the 18 pounds i wanted. so they tuned it at the factory 10 psi and the results were 267/227.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:45 pm 

If it was tuned with some sort of Open ECU program it should still have the ability to tune boost using the stock boost control system. Engunity and all those type programs all tune boost that way. The manual boost controler is nothing but trouble on our cars and worthles with how dynamic out boost control systems are.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:05 pm 
Newb
Newb

well thats good to hear, hopefully you guys can adjust the boost. The tune was done on a DynoJet Winpep7 not quite sure what that means but maybe that will tell you something. The tuner said that there was no mbc and that he therefore couldnt increase the boost.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:49 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll take a peek at it. I was there when it was dropped off today. Open source was probably used. I'll call them see if they have a copy of their stock rom and tune my ownmap for it if thats the case. I dont generally tune open source in house I just make maps for it. But as Gino said even using open source you are able to raise the boost.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 pm 

Ditto