Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Car will not 'catch' idle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:32 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

I've searched and ran across a few things that didn't work at all.

My issue is the car will not catch it's idle and die if I press in the clutch and let the rpms fall when I coast to a light or something. I found a thread that said to clean the IACV and I did. The IACV was sticking a little and it doesn't now but the problem is still there. I also cleaned my MAF by sticking it in a bad with rubbing alcohol like I have in the past.

I have no intake/vaccum leaks and the car runs fine WOT and cruising with one exception. If I come up on a car and have to ease off the throttle and cruise at full vac (boost gauge reads 20ish vaccum) the car is studdering and jerk very bad.

I've also replaced the front o2 and that didn't help at all. No CEL's at all.

Swapped MAF's and no luck.

I bought a brand new throttlebody with all new sensors on it (MAP, IACV, and TPS) and it didn't do a darn thing. I seems to be a decel under load issue.

Let me explain.....
1) Cranks up fine. Idles PERFECT.
2) Rev up the motor in neutral and it catches idle fine.
3) Bounced off the rev limiter and let the rpms drop in neutral. At 1500rpms the idle 'caught' and slowed the needle and did it again at 1000 rpms and then settled at 750 rpms. This is what it is supposed to do EVERYTIME!
4) First gear and no matter what rpm you are at, when you go into neutral and let off the gas the rpms do the steps in #3 above and 'catches' idle. PERFECT!
5) 3rd gear and up it won't 'catch' idle. The needles makes a beeline to zero rpms, revs up to 1200 rpms, falls to zero again, and then either dies or bounces around for 10 seconds until it settles.

Some vids of the action. (sorry for the blurry cell phone vids but it was all I had)

Video 1 -- I am at a stop light. I revved up the car to show it will catch it's idle. I then get the green light and start moving. I get to 3rd gear and throw the car into neutral. You can see the needle fall and the car dies. Popped started the clutch and did it again with the same result.

CLICK FOR VID #1

Video 2: I am in 6th gear at 2000ish rpms when I throw the car into neutral. You can see the needle fall to zero and the car dies (you see the CEL light and others come on). I pop start the car in 6th and cruise for a second or two to build speed back up and then go back into neutral. It almost 'catches' idle, falls to zero and then the needle bounces back up and forth. The entire time I can hear the car struggling to maintain a good idle.

CLICK FOR VID #2

Someone help PLEASE! I'll try anything!

Last edited by GT35RHybrid on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle  Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle  Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle  Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

Do you have the electronic throttle body, or the manual? (your sidemarker reads 2004 wrx, but that's a sti gauge cluster).

If it's a cabled' throttle body, there's a check screw, that makes sure the TB doesn't slap full closed. There should be a paint spot marking where it was set to (if I remember correctly), check that is still where it should be. If not, go under your hood, and open the Throttle body with your finger (just pulling on the wire, or twisting the TB with your fingers works just fine), rev it up just a bit and let the TB snap shut (just like if you let your foot off the gas). if it's still stalling out, I'd have to guess it's a Vac or sensor issue..

Hopefully robbie/ryan can offer more, or better advice.

Good luck!

Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle  Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle  Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle  Digg: Car will not 'catch' idle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:52 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

It's set right. If you watched the first vid you will see that sitting still and revving it up in neutral and it will flawlessly catch idle every time. It's when I'm moving and I throw the car in neutral that it does it. I tend to throw the car in neutral and 'coast' to a stop light if I know it's gonna be a long light.

Oh it's a 2004 WRX that just happens to have a STi cluster. My car is 'almost' a STi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

my apologies, I couldn't watch the vid's on my work comp.

....and I didn't read the full thing (as number 2 says the same thing)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:00 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Np! I just want this fixed! I'm close to setting the Quarter Mile Killer into a barbeque.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:19 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Franz sti and romans sti both did the same thing. Both have PE850cc injectors.

On romans car we took a set of perrin modified 816 injectors installed them and scaled them and put in the correct latency and it idles and runs like a champ no more dying or throttle surge.

Franz car I tried messing with maf scaling and it worked for the most part. if you had an ap then i could hook up with you fix the problem and play some putt putt but I dont tune ecutek.

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Over Actor wrote:
Franz sti and romans sti both did the same thing. Both have PE850cc injectors.

On romans car we took a set of perrin modified 816 injectors installed them and scaled them and put in the correct latency and it idles and runs like a champ no more dying or throttle surge.

Franz car I tried messing with maf scaling and it worked for the most part. if you had an ap then i could hook up with you fix the problem and play some putt putt but I dont tune ecutek.

Robbie do you think my injectors may be sticking? Think sending them off to get cleaned may help? Can I log anything like the trims to show this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:42 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Fuel injector duty cycles, pulse width ect. there maybe an individual cyl. table that shows how much each cyl is flowing. your using dw's right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Over Actor wrote:
Fuel injector duty cycles, pulse width ect. there maybe an individual cyl. table that shows how much each cyl is flowing. your using dw's right?

Nope modded stockers. 820 cc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:05 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Robbie the car idles fine on startup and all other conditions. It runs great and hauls butt at WOT. It's just at the decel it does this.

I noticed my vids weren't working. Robbie can you click the vids above and watch what it is doing and read what I'm explaining so you understand the scenario?

Let me know what you think as I don't think this is exactly what you are picturing. I think the 2 STi's you mentioned were idling crappy all the time and not like mine is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:06 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Can't watch that video :-( any other way .. perhaps youtube?

PS: I can’t wait to put proper 740cc injectors properly modified not that Perrin crap. But yes significant difference compare to PE 850cc

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:10 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Google vids?

Vid #1

Vid #2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:57 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

That’s better ...

weird I don’t have that kind of problem, my was bouncing up and down but not like that.

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:19 pm 

I hate to say this....

My old 05 STi did the same thing. Started and idle'd ran fine but would die when I hit WOT. It would catch and then die a second later.... I had 2 cracked pistion rings. It wasnt even smoking yet, it started about a week later and then it was dead.... :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:14 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rek888v2 wrote:
I hate to say this....

My old 05 STi did the same thing. Started and idle'd ran fine but would die when I hit WOT. It would catch and then die a second later.... I had 2 cracked pistion rings. It wasnt even smoking yet, it started about a week later and then it was dead.... :(

Didnt smoke untill he whooped ass on the strip and motor went in a cloud of glory!

Im trying to install sound drivers on my laptop i has no sounds ahhhh!!!! then I will watch them