All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Cobb Speed density maps
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:50 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Portland International Auto Show
Portland, OR
February 7, 2009

COBB Tuning is proud to announce the availability of AccessTUNER Pro “Speed Density” support for all Subaru drive-by-wire vehicles equipped with a COBB v2 AccessPORT. The new “Speed Density” implementation instructs the ECU to calculate load by using temperature and manifold absolute pressure (MAP) as opposed to the OEM code that utilizes mass air flow (MAF). This development addresses the growing demand within the Subaru enthusiast community for motorsports grade engine management without sacrificing the drive-ability and sophistication inherent in the OEM ECU.

The most basic function of an engine control unit (ECU) is to measure airflow and its translation to engine load. Precise and consistent load calculations along with feedback from other critical sensors allow the ECU to accurately control ignition timing, variable camshafts, and fuel delivery. The most common way to measure load in modern vehicles is with a mass air flow sensor (MAF). Vehicles with stock engines and mild upgrades can utilize the MAF sensor with excellent overall results. However, in a motor sports application where power levels are extremely high and intake airflow configurations are less standardized, the use of a MAF sensor can be highly limiting.

The enhanced AccessTUNER Pro software now offers multiple ECU control modes to give the professional tuner and AccessPORT user a wider choice of engine modifications and tuning options. The software can program the ECU to run in the traditional pure MAF mode, a pure “Speed Density” mode, or a hybrid of both MAF and “Speed Density” with multiple configurable parameters to control dynamic mode switching.

Surgeline Tuning (www.surgelinetuning.com), a premier COBB tuning and installation facility, has performed rigorous testing of the software and has validated “Speed Density” and hybrid modes on MAP sensor equipped Subaru test vehicles with impressive results. This means that high horsepower projects that would typically require the use of expensive and comparatively unreliable stand-alone ECU's can now benefit from the reliability and consistency of the stock ECU partnered with the increasingly capable Cobb AccessPORT and COBB’s network of experienced professional tuners.

The COBB AccessPORT is the ultimate hand-held ECU reprogramming, managing and monitoring device available and COBB Tuning’s ongoing delivery of innovative features and functionality continues to widen the gap to the competition. No other solution even comes close! Access the Potential!

For information on acquiring the AccessTUNER Pro “Speed Density” software module, please email us at sales@cobbtuning.com.

Subaru Tuning/ Black Sheep Motorsports

Digg: Cobb Speed density maps  Digg: Cobb Speed density maps  Digg: Cobb Speed density maps  Digg: Cobb Speed density maps

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:54 am 

Yea! I was just talking about this very thing last night. Anthony can vouch for it, since it was him I discussed it with.

For those that don't know what effect this has, it will greatly improve tunability without the need to have a BigMAF intake for our cars.

I get down with flat tires

Digg: Cobb Speed density maps  Digg: Cobb Speed density maps  Digg: Cobb Speed density maps  Digg: Cobb Speed density maps

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:29 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

the problem is that they are wording this like they want to charge us tuners for the ability to tune it.
which is just like cobb try to charge people mor emoney for shit they need, that the promised would be complete over a year or 2 ago. They like to bait and switch. I see this alot.

look at the ms3. they released the cobb ap, have the tuner pro finished but wont release it. ect. then when you ask. they say how much will you pay? ect

matter of fact they havent even posted the sd mapping stuff on the protuner forum yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:35 pm 

That sucks! Maybe they will come around. Cobb as you know has alot of things and parts available that is not listed on their website.

I get down with flat tires

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:33 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

So when will you know or will be tuning with this? Will it help in hp for mild cars as well or just high end cars? I am guessing that means you can tune for bovs as well with this.

A wise man once said- buy as much house as you can afford, and as little car as you can stand.

Mods car is Stock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:14 am 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

unless the car is pretty wild your probably not going to want to pay for the time needed to tune it. and its only for dbw cars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:26 pm 

I dont understand why they would charge for a software upgrade.... Werent they talking about this a few years ago? And they had that different MAF setup or something with it? I forget the details, I let myself fall out of touch lately....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:50 pm 
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah had a missing link like they use on hondas ect. I guess we'll se when more info arises. when we complained about lack of informationt hey copy pasted the same thing from nasioc on the protuner section lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:18 am 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

I wish they had the Access Port for LS1 applications sometimes, but having to deal with this kind of crap makes me glad they don't. My car has a had a speed density tune for years. And i'm not sure why they are only for the DBW cars, my car is a good old cable throttle and it works just fine.