Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:13 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

So due to budget restraints, im not going to have as much money as i planned on having for the gt30 kit when i get home... so id like to have over 300 to the wheels for daily driving and weekend racing.

How Can I make 300+ WHP and WTQ on the stock turbo set up w/ a FMIC?
can i have approx. pricing for each part thats required also please so I can see if i can match that to my budget.

thanks for the help :D

Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo  Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo  Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo  Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:20 am 

In an STi? Get rid of the FMIC for starters! I made 305 WHP and 323 WTQ on my 04 STi with a turboback and AEM intake.

Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo  Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo  Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo  Digg: Getting 300+WHP and WTQ on stock turbo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:21 am 

Yes 300whp can be done on the stock turbo. Why fmic? You don't need it! Use the stock STi topmount and if you really must update the tmic, go with the JDM STi tmic which is a little wider.

If you don't already have it you will ned a fuel pump to have plenty of headroom, Preferably the K&M Typhoon intake, an exhaust, and your engine management(Cobb AP). That will do it. I have seen cars dyno in the 300-340whp and 310-380ft-lb range on a dyno that reads within 6whp of our Mustang.

I get down with flat tires

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:44 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

thanks for the info.

for the exhaust would a cat back suffice? i dont see a need to get a turbo back since the gt30 kit im gonna buy has the DP with it.

As for why i want to go FMIC... I'm not very partial to top mounts. dont like the looks of them.

and for the cobb AP tune, are you talking about using one of the pre made flashes? i dont see the need to take it to robbie to get it pro tuned until i get the Turbo set up on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:16 am 

You will need a full turbo back, preferrably catless. The fmic had more cons against it at the point you are wanting to go now.

The difference in the tune will be making 250-270whp and 250-280ft-lb without a tune and you will run very rich and have horrible gas mileage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:29 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

well i dont see the need for buying parts twice...
im basically prepping the car in stages... i have the suspension all worked out parts ready to order.

i want the FMIC for the turbo upgrade... so i was gonna do that before hand.

and i dont see the need for paying for a tune twice... once b4 the turbo.. then paying for it again wen the turbo is installed, it seems like a waste of money to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 am 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

Then wait till you have all the parts in one place prior to doing anything.

Resident Medic, Collecting Subarus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:32 am 

Before you read any further this is not out of sarcasm. It just that some things tend to be flaming and sarcastic when read online. You really have 3 options at this point.
1- leave car stock till you upgrade with all parts for said tune
2- skimp on doing it the right way for car that will yield less than desirable results
3- spend the money and get the results that you expect from your car.

You have gotta pay to play. Cutting corners will leave you more than disheartened with the car.

Typical STi used sales fall into several categories
- those with money who want the hottest thing while its hot
-those who get the car and it does not meet what they expect out of the car and sell
-those who buy to mod and realize the actual cost vs. their expectations
-trend followers

You don't want to tune, but I have spent more on tunes than you really want to know. I have had 3 turbo upgrades since stage 2. Each of those were pump, pump+alky,110,and C16 on one turbo.
I'll soon have to rebuild the engine and get some headwork done, that means more tuning.

If you want to save your money for your upgrade, get all of your parts together , install and then tune. Since we are saving money, does this mean you will install yourself too? Some shops charge adequately to fix errors of a build.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:05 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

im not skimping on the build... i jsut dont have the cash on hand to get the rest of the turbo set up im 3 grand short.. which is 2 months of saving my spare cash... i just wanted to roll on 300 while i wait to get the turbo kit and tune. Im doing everything in prep for the turbo kit, so when i do put the turbo kit on and get it tuned i dont have to worry about anything else set up wise.

i know that a lot of tuning is required, but theres really no need for me to get a protune and then retune it 2 months later, why not just run a stage 2 pre made flash (i know its not as aggressive)

and yes i will be doing the build myself with my roommate and his friend who are mechanics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:11 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

run off corn if you can

Conan what is best in life?

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women. "

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:37 pm 

The highest I have ever seen a single car get on a Stage 2 OTS map is 297whp/296 ft-lb. This was on a '06. This was a very rare case in and of itself. The car tuned only got 306whp and 317ft-lb. So, for that particular car the OTS map was nearly dead on from the start. The only mods to this car was the AP and tbe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:09 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

The only way you can run a stage 2 car is with a downpipe. If not you will ask for problems and your 2 month wait will turn into a year with a busted motor. The front mount will be lag city. I can guarantee you will hate the car.

A wise man once said- buy as much house as you can afford, and as little car as you can stand.

Mods car is Stock

Last edited by BlueRex019 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:11 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

BlueRex019 wrote:
The only way you can run a stage 2 car is with a downpipe. If not you will ask for problems and your 2 month wait will turn into a year with a busted motor.

ouch... thanks for the info, that would suck so bad...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:09 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

Hence why I said what I said. I have spent a fair amount of money on parts I didn't keep long.

Resident Medic, Collecting Subarus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:20 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Undecisive wrote:
BlueRex019 wrote:
The only way you can run a stage 2 car is with a downpipe. If not you will ask for problems and your 2 month wait will turn into a year with a busted motor.

ouch... thanks for the info, that would suck so bad...

imo sti turbo/ic + turboback + robbie cobb ap tune. ~ $2400 neato car.