Welcome To TranceSounds: No.1 Place For Live Radio Sets

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

I looked at my ecu today and no dice???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 am 
Newb
Newb

So i went to epic and i was told to check the ecu and see if there was a piggy back on the ecu

I guess a UTEC or an access port. well i popped the cover off and nothing an ecu with wiring harness and a wire connected to the white wire going into the ecu. So i kept searching and i found a black wire not connected to anything... Then i went over to the driver side and looked under the dash and noticed there were a few plugs not connected to anything and a green plug male and female that have been disconnected.. I left it unplugged because the car is running good and i dont want to mess anything up.

I just bought the car and it has a Red APS s/r 40 turbo, APS Hardpipe and Front Mount Intercooler, AEM Intake, GFB Blow-off Valve, Perrin Header, HBC Wastegate Controller, and a Hi-flow Cat and exhaust.

I was told it would have had to be tuned to work right.. Am I missing something?

Damon :?:

Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???  Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???  Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???  Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 am 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Do some reading first … PS: Do not touch green connector, it suppose to be unplugged.

Driving fast attract cops, driving faster attract sponsors...

Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???  Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???  Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???  Digg: I looked at my ecu today and no dice???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 am 
Newb
Newb

So basically you are just saying it is probably an ecu reflash? Ill tell you the truth I have absolutely no idea when it comes to subis..

Growing up it was all Honda/Acura for me then I went Mercedes, and then BMW... Im just trying to put the pieces together on a car that I have no idea where to start with.

1. I guess im just saying, for tuning, Cobb Access Port is the way to go?
2. If there was a piggyback system would it be anywhere else other then next to the ecu?
3. White wire? O2 Sensor?
4. Wire going to piggyback fuse under the hood? Any Ideas?
5. Plugs connected to nothing under drive dash? Normal? should i be worried?

Im just about to get hot and heavy with the modding of this vehicle and i am trying to get some actual advice on each topic from each individual. I can read reviews and information all day. That does not make me any more confident in my choices or my ability to gauge the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:55 am 

Odds are the car has been flashed with an AccessPort at some point but you do not have it now or there was an OpenSource tune put on the car. The white and black wires are probably from a piggyback such as a UTEC that has since been removed. The green plugs are to be left disconnected. They are test plugs for using when you are re-writing the ecu.

The Cobb AP is a good way to go. If I were to go any other way it would by the Hydra, but most of our cars do not need EM that advanced for a DD car.

I get down with flat tires

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:17 pm 
Newb
Newb

VIR EURORALLY wrote:
Odds are the car has been flashed with an AccessPort at some point but you do not have it now or there was an OpenSource tune put on the car. The white and black wires are probably from a piggyback such as a UTEC that has since been removed. The green plugs are to be left disconnected. They are test plugs for using when you are re-writing the ecu.

The Cobb AP is a good way to go. If I were to go any other way it would by the Hydra, but most of our cars do not need EM that advanced for a DD car.

Ok sounds good, Im working on getting my wife a new car and as soon as thats settled; hopefully next month im going to start picking the stuff up i need...

I want to pick up a Cobb AP and some new body panels, i need a new hood, grill, fenders and trunk mainly a hood andd a grill... they are all dented up and its bothering me... So im thinking all CF...

Seibon? good stuff? I know a lot of people have them on their BMWs on e90post.... If im going to spend the money i wnt to do it right so i dont have some off brand weave that looks like crap...

Ohh yeah Carbon Creations... Any Thoughts on their products..?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:44 pm 

Do you have a garage to keep the car stored in? Carbon items that have been weathered look like crap! Get a used '04-'05 STi hood. It is lighter than carbon fiber. Best thing is to research some different makes of cars with carbon panels and look them all over very closely. Tolerances are not as good and some panels do not fit well at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:12 pm 
Suby Addict
Suby Addict

From what I'm told, if you have carbon body panels, and have them clear-coated, you'll be good to go for some time. The coating on most is only supposedly temporary (this is coming from Gino, the resident carbon king).

Dave's right, stick with the normal hood, but if your funds are still there, then get a cf trunk, which saves a lot of weight.

Cobb AP is the way to go for your tuning needs, way better UI than other options.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:00 pm 
Newb
Newb

Ok sounds good ill check into everything

thanks again

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm 

I'd go Type RA-R trunk and be aluminum and still lighter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:59 pm 
Newb
Newb

VIR EURORALLY wrote:
I'd go Type RA-R trunk and be aluminum and still lighter.

Im not just looking into weight and style im also thinking durability.. being a solder means people doing stupid stuff around my car. I was thinking cf because it is more difficult to scratch dent and damage if someone accidentally passes by it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:02 pm 
Suby Nut
Suby Nut

Just don't drive the Subie on post. That's what I do.

Alternate DD FTW. :D

------------------------------------
2007 Toyota Tacoma
TRD Sport 4x4 Double Cab
------------------------------------
And I really need a boat
20'-24' Center Console

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:17 pm 

Lead poisining is a well proven method. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:18 pm 
upgrading your hood to seibon is not just good for saving weight if that is what you are looking for. we have Seibon hoods on all our subarus, from our vf39 STi to our 35R rotated mount Time Attack cars. Many of the Seibon hoods are designed with heat extractors that are very functional and work well. With a forced induction car, heat is one of the biggest issues and increasing the flow of heat away from your motor is VERY beneficial and "free hp". while I agree that the carbon will eventually fade as ours has on our sti, you can certainly have it color coded once that happens, but the benefits of a functional hood far out weigh the cons.

As for tuning, if your car is functioning properly, it is most likely that your car has been tuned open source as VIR Eurorally stated. there are many effective options for engine management, one of them being Cobb AP, others inlcuding UTec, AEM, and Hydra as previously mentioned. Needs will differ from person to person depending on your future hp wants, what kind of data acquisition capabilities you are looking for and the overall function of the vehicle as well as budget.

your best bet is to choose your tuner/installation shop and then work with them based on their experience with each and what they are comfortable with as well as meshing them well with your over all needs being met.

Best of luck with your Subaru and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

-Leslyn Bodine
Co-Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:54 am 

DSC201KNOC wrote:
VIR EURORALLY wrote:

Ok sounds good, Im working on getting my wife a new car and as soon as thats settled; hopefully next month im going to start picking the stuff up i need...

I want to pick up a Cobb AP and some new body panels, i need a new hood, grill, fenders and trunk mainly a hood andd a grill... they are all dented up and its bothering me... So im thinking all CF...

Seibon? good stuff? I know a lot of people have them on their BMWs on e90post.... If im going to spend the money i wnt to do it right so i dont have some off brand weave that looks like crap...

I have Carbon Creations fenders and a CF hood and trunk on mine. Keep in in a garage or it will look like crap. What Injectors you running. Even with the Stock map, your car will run as long as it has stock injectors. But if this is the case, be careful because you will destroy the motor with all the crap you have on the car running untuned and with stock injectors, if they are stock, otherwise you have a reflash with opensourse, ECUTEK or an AP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:03 am 
Newb
Newb

rek888v2 wrote:
DSC201KNOC wrote:
VIR EURORALLY wrote:

I have Carbon Creations fenders and a CF hood and trunk on mine. Keep in in a garage or it will look like crap. What Injectors you running. Even with the Stock map, your car will run as long as it has stock injectors. But if this is the case, be careful because you will destroy the motor with all the crap you have on the car running untuned and with stock injectors, if they are stock, otherwise you have a reflash with opensourse, ECUTEK or an AP.

Im pretty sure when i went to epic so they could take a look they said i had upgraded injectors... ill take a look today.. I will garage the car as soon as i start getting parts for it....